Edison Tech Center Pi Day Quiz 2022
1) The Twin Lights Historical Site lighthouse lens might have a focal length of 720 cm, with the carbon arc light source 15 cm long. How can that be measured?
2) The Twin Lights Historical Site lighthouse lens would rotate to flash every 5 seconds. How fast was the motor driving the rotation if the lens would flash twice every rotation?
3) The Twin Lights Historical Site lens weighs over two tons (4000 pounds/1814 kg) How much mercury was used to float the lens so that it could be turned easily?
4) The Twin Lights Historical Site lighthouse lens was floated on mercury to make it turn easily. If the base of the lens is 3 meters in diameter, how much torque is needed to turn the lens so that it flashes twice every ten seconds?
5) A snow plow is attached to a truck 1 meter wide by 4 meters long. What is the minimum radius that the truck can turn?
6) A snow plow truck 1 meter wide by 4 meters long plows snow and then turns. How much snow is left not plowed if the plow is on a road 2 meters wide?
7) If a person eats two cans worth of a specific food a week, which is better for the environment: two cans or one can with the volume of two cans?
Sources: Edison Tech Center